The qualifications differ from one subject area to another. Normally, applicants should possess a first degree from a recognised university and should have been teaching the subject for at least two years at either the forms 4 and 5 level for CSEC and at the form 6 level for CAPE. There are some subject areas that require a teaching certificate and not a degree.